Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Upward Droplets {A New Print with Step by Step Photos}

I've just completed a new a print and thought it would be nice to share with you the step by step process in creating it. I'm definitely enjoying creating these when I get the chance but I'm also working on some more typographic pieces. (I'll have those ready soon).

I've decided to call this print (for now) Upward Droplets. The final size measures 7x5 inches and can be found in my etsy shop.

As shown below, I began with a soft pencil sketch on watercolor paper. (I blame this bad photograph on the fact it was taken at 2:30 in the morning and I was tired).

I then began coloring in the shapes using watercolors. (You can tell I was a bit more awake when I took this picture). I wanted to originally use a palette of blue and pink and keep the colors minimal.

As I continued I was happy with the progress and my color palette, but in the heart of experimentation I shifted a bit.

After completing the painting of the piece I went ahead and created different patterns using a thin black marker and black pen.

I then scanned the original piece into the computer. After just minor tweaks and a few levels adjustment I decided I wasn't happy with the color combination (though I was happy with the design/illustration itself). These things happen. I should have gone with less colors or different ones. So after a bit of analyzing and picking colors in my head, I adjusted the colors to a nice combination of yellow and pink with soft touches of orange using photoshop. Very satisfied with the decision I became one happy designer and voila, the final piece was completed!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
I'm also curious as to your process and how you create your art, music, crafts or designs, as well as your ups and downs. I know I've been having many of these. Please feel free to leave a comment and share!

6 comments:

  1. wow, what a gorgeous design, and you make it look so simple, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much and I'm truly happy you enjoy it! You're welcome, I love sharing. :)
    Best,
    Karyna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I love the final product. Your style is unique and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    My name is Kristen and I followed you over from today's Scoutie Girl post about weddings. I loved seeing your process for this piece. That is something I am always curious about, so thanks so much for sharing it!

    I am in the first stages of painting a surfboard. This is my 4th one I've painted, and each time I paint one I swear to myself that I am going to take pics of the entire process but what what I end up with is a pic of the very beginning stages and then I get sucked into creating it and only remember to take a pic at the very end. This time I am blogging about it, so I am hoping it will help make me more accountable and I really will document the whole process.

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristen. Really glad you enjoyed seeing the process. I also absolutely love when others post things like this, because it really gives you insight. It's also interesting so see how others go about creating their designs/crafts/art.
    When you're done painting the skateboard drop me a line so I can check it out. I would love to see your process too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the original best even though I am a complete yellow fanatic. Very peacock feather-ish! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

❤ HELLO AWESOME ONE ❤
Let's talk, I love to know what you're thinking. I try to reply to EACH comment so check back or subscribe to comments for this post below :)

-Karyna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...