Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Recent Handmade Mini Magnet Sculpture Gifts

Though it's post-Christmas, the holiday energies are still in gear. Because of this I'm a bit late with this post but I definitely wanted to share some photos of the one of a kind handmade gifts I made this year for a few of my very very close friends - and one for myself of course.

It's actually a little tradition I have. Alright, so it's not that much of an established tradition, but it's one I intend on keeping. Feel free to take a peak here of some caricaturesque mini paintings I created a year or two ago as other gifts. I have to say they were a hit with the girls.

For this years gifts I decided to make small abstract sculpture magnets. Why? Because I enjoy working with polymer clay whenever I get the chance, I had the materials available and I thought it would be a nice and not so time consuming project. I also knew they would very much appreciate these.

Here are some photos of the process itself. What do you think of the final designs? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Above are the sculpted designs I randomly created using Super Sculpey polymer clay purchased from Michael's.

Above are the pieces after baking. (Very simple instructions found on the box).

I then decided to coat the pieces with a white acrylic gesso. I felt this would allow the spray paint color I was going to use to adhere nicely and possibly appear richer on a base white surface.

The pieces were then spray painted, front and back, with a dark metallic paint. I originally wanted a lighter or brighter color but used this one because it was the only spray color I had available. But I am very happy with the results.

Finally, using different acrylic paints and a fine brush I applied distinctive dot patterns to each piece. To complete the sculptures I then glued mini magnets to the back of each one...and done!

Each is very different on purpose and I still can't pick a favorite. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. i love your delicious dots, karyna! i know your friends will adore these gorgeous goodies for years to come. great job!

    ReplyDelete

❤ HELLO AWESOME ONE ❤
Let's talk, I love to know what you're thinking. I try to reply to EACH comment so check back or subscribe to comments for this post below :)

-Karyna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...