Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Tangled-Eyed Monster...

it's a she and her name is, Zzzixxurgh. (Yeah, I don't know how to pronounce it either). You may also find her at my etsy shop!

She's very nice, though her many tentacles are extremely powerful she uses them only for hugging (and every once in a while a good slight tap on the head or back).

I created this sculpture using Super Sculpey. It's a medium I love to experiment with when I'm not designing on the computer or making things out of reused and repurposed paper.
The photos below are a few steps of the process I took in creating her. Unfortunately many photos of the painting process, (in between baking and the final result) were lost due to my old laptop being stolen. But enough weeping!

Tools used:
Super Sculpey • oven to bake the sculpey • silver baking tray (used ONLY for clay, never food) • small air brush • air brush paints • acrylic paints.

Below is the baked result after my design was completed. Baking instructions can be found on the box of Super Sculpey.

As mentioned above, the photos which showed the process of the layering of the paints was lost due to an unfortunate event, but for the painting, before I even began, I used white acrylic gesso and painted the entire piece with this. Once dried, using a small airbrush I began to paint and create the blended mixture of gold, green and blue you see below.

Using a thin brush and white acrylic paint, white dots were then added and white was painted on the top circles which later became the eyes.

Below is the base I decided to make to set the sculpture on. This way if moved or purchased at my etsy shop it may be moved with more care and there will be less grabbing of the tentacles.

The base was purchased at Michaels. It's a very thin round piece of wood that I primed with white gesso. Once that dried I painted it gold. The bottom of the base is covered with black felt.

And woila.....
she is complete! I am very happy with this sculpture.
What are your thoughts? I would love to hear them. And if you have any name suggestions, just let me know!

11 comments:

  1. What a fun look into your process!!! I really love your sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun sculpture, karyna! great insight into your process as well. hooray for blogging! i'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, fantastic sculpture Karyna. Love your blog, I am a follower now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her soooo cute! I'm following now too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new blog. Blogging is so much fun! Good luck with your project. I just started following as well. Take care and see you around uwib
    Birgitte

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute and looks like it was a fun project. I'm following you know too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh she's absolutely beautiful! You are so talented Karyna. I love seeing the work in progress too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...THANKS SO MUCH for the comments! =))
    I'm glad you like the post & sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoa i love the colors on this piece! looks really awesome. nice movement.

    ReplyDelete

❤ HELLO AWESOME ONE ❤
Let's talk, I love to know what you're thinking. I try to reply to EACH comment so check back or subscribe to comments for this post below :)

-Karyna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...