Monday, August 17, 2009

I'd Like You To Meet... (An Interview)

Do you have a friend or a certain group of friends that when you talk or interact, there is a sort of mutual energy or osmosis that makes you instantly want to get back to your space, create and do what you love? I fortunately do and one of these friends is Dennis Pomales, an artist/illustrator whose attitude and work I appreciate and want to share with you:

Tell us a little something something about yourself.

I am a human being born into the island of Puerto Rico 23 Earth years ago. Since then I've moved around while realizing that my home is in my head and my head is floating in space. I like to draw, learn, think and ride my bicycle. I prefer creating at night when everything is quiet. I went to college as an aspiring filmmaker but spent almost all my time there drawing. I am owned by 2 cats.

Why do you do what you do?

I do what I do because doing anything else feels like a waste of time. I mean, I do enjoy reading and hiking and whatnot but I feel I use my time best when creating.

What or who inspires and influences you?

Yeah this is that question where everybody says "Oh so many things to list!", and with good reason. Probably the most important influence in my life has been the great friends and fellow artists that have surrounded me and everything that our experiences taught us and led us to like Reinier Gamboa, Gabriel Correa, Hildemar Cruz, Roy Neil Hunter, Juan Navarro, Natali Koromoto, Eddie Moreno, Alessandro Echevarria, of course you Karyna and so on and so on. As far as other people and/or things: nature, sacred geometry, human interaction, love, birds, metaprogramming the human biocomputer, outer space, inner space, Ernst Haeckel, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Rob Breszny, Mati Klarwein, Kelsey Brookes, Wangechi Mutu, Blu, Joseph Campbell, Paul Laffoley, Max Ernst, Jan Svankmajer, David Lynch, Moebius, Hernan Bas, Timothy Leary, Aleister Crowley, Terrence McKenna, Kurt Vonnegut, Os Gemeos, Herbert Baglione, Henry Darger, Animal Collective, Bjork, Tom Waits, Cocorosie, Gang Gang Dance, Brian Eno, Joanna Newsom, Ennio Morricone, oh and Radio Lab!!

What's your favorite medium and why?

I've experimented with a lot of stuff but my favorites right now are watercolors, india ink, and ballpoint pens. I really enjoy the spontaneous nature of watercolor. I like painting quick and loose yet precise and the way the colors blend seamlessly when doing wet-on-wet looks so good I want to eat it! Watercolors and ink just seem to work best with the way I create and the visual aesthetics I try to capture.

How have you developed or continue to develop your particular style &/or technique?

Doodling! I doodled my way through high school and college and came out the other side with something called "my style". Doodling is my way of finding new ideas, of not relying too much on the things I've already figured out how to do, of not repeating myself too much. I also try to draw something everyday, whatever it is. Yeah always doodling into previously undiscovered parts of my brain.

What do you want your work to say or accomplish.

If it were possible for the viewer to actually see the same thing I see it would be to make them feel like their eyes are melting and their reality is being reshaped and expanded upon, just like my creatures are when I draw them. I would like them to use my creatures as guides in their journey to self-realization and spiritual evolution. Or they can just be somewhat amused by it and move on to something else that resonates within them. That's cool too.

What are you working on now?

Right now I'm working on a series that I'm tentatively calling Species. I'm classifying the kinds of creatures I've made into different species like birds and aliens for example. I'm illustrating them against white backgrounds so they're taken out of context and they're analyzed like new scientific discoveries. I'll let you know when that's done.

Any plans or current events?

I have few pieces showing at the Echo Curio's Imaginary Land show. There's a zine in the works with Juan Navarro, Hildemar Cruz and Teresita Cruz. I'm also 1/3 of Meraki's Planetshine, a collaborative collective. Scoring some freelance and/or commission gigs would be great though!

Links: Dennis' site, Dennis' blog

2 comments:

  1. Amazing artist.
    You have a lovely blog.
    Hope you get a chance to check out mine.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His work is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete

❤ HELLO AWESOME ONE ❤
Let's talk, I love to know what you're thinking. I try to reply to EACH comment so check back or subscribe to comments for this post below :)

-Karyna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...